Where's Waldo?

Got a great idea? Tell the world about it here.

Moderators: mvs_staff, forum_admin, Marilyn

Where's Waldo?

Postby mmiller » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:29 pm

Waldo is a great game for kids. In fact, we adults find ourselves playing this game inadvertently at times, like trying to find the most needed link on a web page. The "Sign in" link for my Yahoo browser is one of those key links. Just about every day, I need to find it and log in. But it can be frustrating at times because it moves around on different days, and is about the smallest item on the webpage, even smaller and less bold than the copyright notice at the bottom of the page. You would think a designer would decide which links on a page would be the most used, and try to make them more obvious, rather than having millions of users play Waldo.

I'd swear the same person designed the location of the horn button on the Ford Mustang. I was borrowing a Mustang for a drive recently, needed to honk at a careless driver, and reached for the horn by feel, as to not take my eyes off the road. That darn little, bitty horn button is hard to find. I did finally look, and push the horn, like 15 seconds after the fact.

So, stating the obvious, since some top paid designers apparently don't get it, my great idea (sarcasm alert) for something that is used a lot, make it easily accessible, whether it's a light switch, a horn button, or an important link on a webpage. Anybody read the copyright notice on a regular basis, if ever?
ZZ
mmiller
Intellectual

Postby planetoidek » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:41 am

Have you used the combination Ctrl + F to find something in a webpage or document?
planetoidek
Thinker

Postby mmiller » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:58 pm

No, I had not until just now. Nice feature.

For instance, to reply here, I can readily see the relatively large "Preview" and "Submit" options, just the way it should be.
It would be ridiculous for Marilyn's site to have those buttons as little icons betwween memberlist and user groupls, or have to run a search.

I'll try Control F on the Mustang next time :)
ZZ
mmiller
Intellectual

Postby JO 753 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:55 am

If software engineers designed a car, you'd probably find the steering wheel in the glove compartment! And it would be the size of a radio knob!! And there'd be a freakin pop-up menu asking if you want clockwise or counterclockwise to turn the car right!!! And then another pop-up for left!!! And to choose, it would be switches marked 'on' and 'up'!!!! And you'd find the glove compartment in the trunk!!!!! And the trunk is in one of the 13 tires!!!!! And after you'd finally figured it all out and got on the road, you'd crash anyway because there'd be a 'reverse configure' in the general preferences first time set up menu!!!!!! And......well, I could go on all night, but I think you got the picture - I'm not impressed with software engineer's ergonomic abilities.
JO 753
Intellectual

Postby davar55 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:57 pm

When cars get really smart someday, they probably WILL put an emergency replacement steering wheel in the glove compartment.

And CTRL-F might actually work.
davar55
Intellectual

Postby JO 753 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:23 pm

There are some good software companies out there. Adobe and Google, for example.

Many years ago I postulated that a computer would need to be sentient in order to drive a car in real traffic.

Right or wrong, Google has done it.
JO 753
Intellectual

Postby davar55 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:35 pm

Getting back to the OP:

"Make it easily accessible".

Design is a gradual evolution. Some things ARE well-designed.

In the genesis of any new complex thing or idea,
first generation is a kludge, second generation is a mess,
third generation is adequate, fourth generation is well-done,
and fifth generation is a pleasure.

My derivative idea is to use this (personal) evaluative schema
to help determine what needs improving. Reasonable complaints
can lead others to make soluative suggestions.
davar55
Intellectual

Postby mmiller » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:14 pm

I just noticed Yahoo has a new "Sign In" button that says "I'm new" SOmebody is listening! Thank you!
ZZ
mmiller
Intellectual

Postby JO 753 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:17 pm

I believe design is revolutionary as well as evolutionary, and things definitely do not always get better, Davar.

AOL is a good example.

It was a revolution in ergonomics when it first came out and improved over a series of new versions. But about version 6 or 7, it began to get less user friendly as some features were lost or altered in unfavorable ways and bunches of new features were added that aren't useful were loaded on.

A few examples: It used to be that you could click on an email address and an email would pop up ready to type your message in. Now instead it sends you to your mailing list!

They added a search window that opens on starting the program several years ago. Screen crowding junk, considering Google works way better, even though it is supposedly 'powered by Google'.

I suppose there were many changes to the software that were in response to viruses and the MicroSoft continuous calamity, but I always suspected that they had been infiltrated by computer geek moles from their competitors.
JO 753
Intellectual

Return to Great Ideas