California IQ should be high, but....

Got a great idea? Tell the world about it here.

Moderators: mvs_staff, forum_admin, Marilyn

California IQ should be high, but....

Postby mmiller » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:39 pm

I love the state of California, been here about a year and a half- beautiful land, informed people, and many more superlatives, What really impresses me is that so many employees or business owners are so incredibly sharp, concientious and helpful. So often, people I barely know, generously offer me information I am seeking, even professional knowledge. Employees are so ready to help.

I think the cumulative standard here is pretty darn good, a lot of bright people. Maybe it's the concentration of people, the mindset and attitudes, whatever, it's good.

Thus, I would say overall the average IQ is pretty high, except unfornately there are a couple of groups, a small minority, who are so stupid it seems , that they can make the IQ number average sink considerably.

The first group is those who walk or bike the streets, seemingly with a death wish, They are the types who travel at night for instance, on a very narrow and dark road without lights, with their backs to the traffic, barely to the shoulder at all, and they are dressed in black clothes, head to toe! Even their tennis shoes are black, though you might get lucky and see glimpses of their white socks. Many bicyclists do the same thing, plus they may just come cruise into a busy street at night out of nowhere, disobeying all traffic laws. So either it's some kind of death wish, or incredible stupidity, not sure which,

The other group is the motorcyles that use "split lanes" on freeways. Split lanes are simply mindboggling to me, some incredible law in the state of California that allows motorcyles to weave between cars in adjacent lanes, right along the diving line. Now, first of all, very often they are speeding beyond the posted speed limit to do this. You just kind of wonder , are they immune to the speeding laws? And then they just buzz through from out of nowhere. If you thought you were going to speed up, or slow down to change lanes either in front for behind the car that had been adjacent to you, you've got to be extra careful one of those split lane riders is not screeming by, lest potential disaster..

Let me say, this above mentioned idiocy only applies to small percentages, while so, so many others travel sanely with a lot more caution. The great idea for this post is for California to get rid of that stupid split lane law!!!
ZZ
mmiller
Intellectual

Postby mmiller » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:19 am

Just an update: still the same old thing. A couple of days ago, three pedestrians on the rural highwy, all walking facing the traffic.

Recently I am about to make a right turn and notice a pedestrian walking on the sidewalk near the intersection, quickly away from it. He is retreating to hit the "walk" button, which instantly turns on as he not walks, but runs into the intersection not looking. Fortunately, I approach all intersections with heightened caution and am able to quickly stop in time so I don't hit him. He never even looked, by the way- so, so trusting!

It's starting to get dark the other day, I see a bicyclist cruising the streets, all over the place. Specifically to report here, I duly noted that he too was wearing all black from head to toe. Another genius I tell ya!

At a busy parking lot I notice a lot of cars buzz thru pretty quickly, SOme can't wait to dash out of the parking lot as fast as they can because every second of their time is extremely precious, EXCEPT when you are waiting for them in line. Then time to them is no issue, as they sign their John Hancocks, slowly and carefully being sure to include all middle names and to dot every "I" and cross every "T". Indoors, time is no issue whatsoever, but behind the wheel, rush like the end of the world is near.

So, I am driving slowly to exit that parking lot, Suddenly, from behind a building, out pop two young ladies, right in front of me. It was not the normal area for pedestrians, but there they were, and of course, completely oblivious to the traffic. My passenger shrieked to watch out, and since I was driving slowly, able to stop, no problem.

To me, life is precious, Stupid decisions you make while driving can have adverse affects to eternity. A second of my time is worth someone else's life, whether they are in the right or not. I get the sneaky suspiscion that many to do not feel this away, a second of their time IS worth risking my life so they can do something illegal while driving.
ZZ
mmiller
Intellectual

Re: California IQ should be high, but....

Postby robert 46 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:34 am

mmiller wrote:The first group is those who walk or bike the streets, seemingly with a death wish, They are the types who travel at night for instance, on a very narrow and dark road without lights, with their backs to the traffic, barely to the shoulder at all, and they are dressed in black clothes, head to toe! Even their tennis shoes are black, though you might get lucky and see glimpses of their white socks. Many bicyclists do the same thing, plus they may just come cruise into a busy street at night out of nowhere, disobeying all traffic laws. So either it's some kind of death wish, or incredible stupidity, not sure which.

Wake up. These people are out on the prowl looking for something to steal. I like to fix up bicycles, and am always looking for bikes to buy from neighbors or thrift shops; I find whole or damaged/incomplete bikes, wheels and parts in dumpsters or by the side of the road. The times I've come across BMX or other bikes repainted flat black I strongly suspect they were used for no good.

However, not everyone who dresses in black is a thief. An older fellow I got to know always dressed in black pants, shirt, and a wide-brimmed, black leather hat- something like "Paladin". He came from San Diego, had Spanish ancestors but was thoroughly American. Knew he had a drinking problem, and stayed away from alcohol as best he could. But when his domestic situation got stressful he'd relapse. One night he got drunk, walked out on a main road and was hit by a car and killed. A pity: he was a falconer and musician, and always interesting to talk with.
robert 46
Intellectual

California I.Q.

Postby Shylopaul » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:38 am

California is origin to more Nobel Laureate prize holders than all of the other 49 U.S.A. states combined.
Living eternally without any trace of dying is the ultimate experience.
Shylopaul
Thinker

Postby mmiller » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:11 pm

<<California is origin to more Nobel Laureate prize holders than all of the other 49 U.S.A. states combined.>>

That's one of the great things about California, and does bolster my original point. Very high IQs balanced by very low IQs.

Then again, perhaps there's not necessarily a direct correlation between common sense and IQ? I don't know the answer to that, but your partially off topic statement does drum up some interesting thoughts.

Hopefully, few if any of those nobel laureates have a favorite past time of wearing all black, head to toe, and hiking down narrow, windy roads, in the dark w/o reflectors or lights, and with their backs to the oncoming traffic and barely being off the side the road if not partially in the traffic lane itself. MM
ZZ
mmiller
Intellectual

Postby mmiller » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:04 pm

It's noteworthy to mention that I actually did recently see one person wearing white paints and walking on the side of the road, actually facing the traffic here in California, Somebody got it right!
ZZ
mmiller
Intellectual

Postby JO 753 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:03 pm

They are camoflaged.

What you didn't realized about California streets is that after dark, pedestrians are fair game and drivers are hunting them. 50 to 200 points, if you're in the game, plus you get to take whatever cash & valuables you can grab in a hurry.

During the day, the pedestrians make a living by getting hit & initiating lawsuits. They naturally prefer slow moving cars to minimize the actual injury.
JO 753
Intellectual

Postby mmiller » Tue May 01, 2012 10:17 pm

Very nice post, I am lol!
ZZ
mmiller
Intellectual

Postby Ambit_Energy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:22 pm

Has the elimination of IQ testing in California hurt or helped the African-American student?

Many scholars feel that IQ testing is a major problem of misdiagnosis when placing a black student in a special education program. In the area of cultural differences, writers have pointed out that professionals in education may view cultural differences among black students as an indicator of deficiencies (Hillard, et.al1986). This perception leads many educators to identify black students being below normal or abnormal on measures of adaptive behaviors. Gilbert and Gay (1985) suggest that African-American students who are placed in a special education classroom due to a misdiagnosis will start to take on the characteristics of a disabled student. Another problem with misdiagnosis is that the student’s self-esteem is adversely affected.

:wink:
Ambit_Energy
Thinker

Return to Great Ideas