Greener Cars: What to Do?

The Game Show problem, logical fallacies, Marilyn's daily diet, multi-tasking and achieving your potential.

Moderator: Marilyn

Greener Cars: What to Do?

Postby Marilyn » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:30 pm

Many people say you should get rid of your gas-guzzler and buy a “greener” car. But if you trade before your current vehicle dies a natural death, it may get driven by someone else. Plus, manufacturing a new car takes a toll on the environment, too. What’s the best thing to do?

Tom Fuller
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Looking at the big picture, the more money a society spends on automobiles and driving, the more pollution it causes. This includes manufacturing greener cars, not-so-green cars, burning fuel, and more. Worn-off tire rubber diffuses into the air and soil. Highways and roads exact higher tolls from the environment than they do from motorists.

Drivers who buy more cars than they need, or who buy new cars for social status, or who drive more than necessary, are adding to the problem, no matter how green their cars are.

Overall, whatever costs the least is the best thing to do for the environment. Individuals can help by spending less on driving, one way or another. Expenses can be calculated in each situation. One can see if a car with better gas mileage will save money, considering all the factors: the after-trade price, the cost of maintenance and repairs, the number of miles that must be driven, etc. If it will not save money, keeping one’s current vehicle will tend to be better.

Hybrid cars (which use electricity in addition to gasoline) are good choices if you need a new or almost-new vehicle. If you don’t, you could look at less-expensive used cars. One of these days, those hybrids will be among them.
Marilyn
Site Admin

Re: Greener Cars: What to Do?

Postby robert 46 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:49 am

Marilyn wrote:Hybrid cars (which use electricity in addition to gasoline) are good choices if you need a new or almost-new vehicle. If you don’t, you could look at less-expensive used cars. One of these days, those hybrids will be among them.

The problem with buying a used hybrid will be the same as buying any conventional used car: many people will not sell their car until it starts giving them troubles. The big problem with hybrids is that the battery packs have a limited life of some 150,000 miles, and the replacement cost could be $3000 or more. So if you see a used hybrid with extended mileage on the "pre-owned" car lot beware that a major added expense may be imminent. Ask yourself this, Who would sell a high efficiency hybrid for any other reason than that they know it is wearing out?
robert 46
Intellectual

Postby Oleg » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:46 pm

See The Obvious Micro-Industrial Revolution

http://www.marilynvossavant.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1232

And....Introducing....The Secret of The Water Engine

http://www.marilynvossavant.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12215#12215

..this was information frowned upon by the establishment in the last science fiction novel of Arthur C. Clarke, "The Last Theorem".
:
)
Oleg
Intellectual

Postby bill » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:53 am

Code: Select all
[b]IAM WKG ON THY AERO ENGINE[/b]
love creation machine
bill
Intellectual

Postby JO 753 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:54 pm

I have driven the same model car since 1981; a 1972 Chrysler New Yorker. This is my 3rd one and I've had it since 1989.

The reason is that it seems there is never a time when getting a newer car will be less expensive than fixing this one or when it gets too rusty andor needs other repairs, stripping off all the good parts and getting another.

One of the major reasons is that I can do most of the repairs this car may need, but more modern vehicles can have problems that are beyond my capabilities, requiring an expensive visit to the, ahem, 'professionals'.
JO 753
Intellectual

Postby Breech94 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:39 pm

I bought a ford 92 festiva last summer for $600, gets 50mpg, I'm thinking of dimpling it with a hammer myself to get the extra 3% to 10% mileage out of wind reduction I watched them test this on mythbusters, and it kinda makes a statement when driving around and gas hits 5$+ a gallon.
Breech94

Postby JO 753 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:59 pm

I don't think dimpling with a hammer will work. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that the sharp edge and smooth, regular radius made the Mythbuster's experiment work; that it effectively reduced the amount of surface area subject to the friction of the air stream. In other words, the dimples only had air to air friction.

The dents you make with a hammer will have smooth slopes into the dent, which would probably increase the drag. Besides, you would have to add metal to make up for the increased surface area.
DONT KaST YOR PRLZ BEFOR SWiN. XA WIL BE IGNOReD & TRaMPLD INTQ XU MUD. HaND XeM OVR RESPeKTFULE INSTeD.
http://www.nooalf.com
JO 753
Intellectual

Postby Breech94 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:20 pm

Paint your car a green and hit it with a hammer!
...maybe I should do some research first.
Breech94

Postby Tom Hendricks » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:27 am

How about really green. It might not help cars, but it could help in our buildings.
Connect Generators to Revolving doors - skyscrapers, or stadiums
Turn a water wheel or windmill sideways and you have a turnstile.
Hook a generator up to a revolving door of a skyscraper, or a turnstile at a stadium or concert hall, and you have people power. Free, clean, renewable, even healthy power.
Tom Hendricks
Intellectual

Postby JO 753 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:31 am

When I get enuf money for some new fenders, I'm going to send the old ones to the Vatican for their collection of holy relics.
JO 753
Intellectual

Postby JO 753 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:37 am

Cars really are better now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWMjR3r-nsI Hellcat Challenger
JO 753
Intellectual

Return to Online Articles By Marilyn