What is the question?

Topics other than the magazine column.

Moderators: mvs_staff, forum_admin, Marilyn

What is the question?

Postby Krisco » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:20 am

As is true in so many different problems if you can only formulate the right question, the answer becomes obvious. For example:

You are Ignatius, the Bishop of Antioch in 107 AD. For having refused to acknowledge the Pegan gods of Rome, the Emperor Trajan has condemned you to the Coliseum to be torn to pieces by Lions. However as a test to your faith the Emperor has granted one more chance to live. There are two doors at opposite sides of the Coliseum. Each door has one guard. One guard will always lie. One guard will always tell the truth. One door is freedom. One door is the Lions. You don't know which guard or door is which or anything else about them. You can ask one of them one question. At the Coliseum the Emperor Trajan declares "If you can tell me the one question that you would ask one of the guards that will guarantee discovering the door to freedom, then I shall acknowledge your God and you shall be set free!"

What is the Question?
Kris
Krisco
Thinker

Riddle

Postby Dale » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:52 pm

This is the best riddle I have ever attempted, and failed, to figure out.

I heard this over 30 years ago---set up in a locked-down computer room with two identical and indistinguishable computers (but, one always gave true answers and the other always gave false answers), with the same two doors (life or death), and only one IBM question data-card.

I'm not going to blow the best riddle off with a quick answer, but I will be watching, and laughing. It's so logically simple, yet it stumped me for two days. Grrrah!!! :lol:
Observe it > Do it > Teach it
Dale
Thinker

Re: What is the question?

Postby robert 46 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Krisco wrote:What is the Question?

This is a very good exercise in logical analysis, so I have posted the answer elsewhere.
robert 46
Intellectual

Return to General Discussion