Topics other than the magazine column.

Moderators: mvs_staff, forum_admin, Marilyn

morals

Postby kelly » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:08 pm

What are the moral imperatives?

Definition of moral:
(So we have a standard to work from)
Random House Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary:
1. of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principals or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong.
3. founded on the fundamental principles of right conduct rather than on legalities actment, or custom: moral obligations.
There are of course more definitions:
Expressing, capability, moral support, moral certainty etc.

imperative: 1. absolutely necessary or required; unavoidable.

Thomas Jefferson wrote in the declaration of independence that they are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Stemming from life, liberty and the pursuit of property written earlier. Or, as written in the bill of rights: Freedom of religion, freedom of speech, right to peaceably assemble, right to petition, the right to bear arms, the right to be free from unreasonable search and seizure, freedom from double jeopardy and the right to due process; The right to a speedy trial by an impartial jury, no cruel or unusual punishment, or excessive bail, the right to vote.

Awaiting your input.
kelly
Intellectual

Postby raydpratt » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:11 am

This is a touchy subject, for there is a tendency for one's self-interests to become the real underlying basis of a stated moral position.

That said, I am no longer the amoral cynic that I had once thought myself to be. I no longer define morality as the judgment of others and nothing more. That's too easy.

There is real moral pain in seeing unfairness against anyone, not just one's self. Such morality is probably a natural morality that arises in social animals, although other natural behaviors in social animals can be very self-serving and violent.

The Constitution reflects a moral balance between natural behaviours that can and often do conflict: freedom versus governance, individualism versus heirarchy, member versus pack, etc.

I think Jesus said it best that to love others and God encompasses all other morals, for even our natural violent behaviours have their moral time and place as acts of love for others and self.
raydpratt
Intellectual

Postby hyper » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:32 am

If we want to have a moral beginning, it has to be in a surrounding of 'ideal' circumstances ?

If people are in an ideal setting they will be at a point of relative tranquility and therefor at ease.

At that point moral can be extracted ? That is relevant for use. Is it not ?
hyper
Scholar

Postby Tom Hendricks » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:36 pm

What if morality is a projection of the inner conflicts within us? What if its a projection of our own trauma on an outside world? Specifically what if it's a projection of the push and pull of all biological creatures with a two part metabolic system? Every living thing both has catabolic, or break down processes, and anabolic build up processes. What if morality is a relfection of this inner biological tug of war?
Tom Hendricks
Intellectual

Postby hyper » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:56 am

Hello,

What are these inner conflicts exactly ? And are these trauma experiences a modern day one ? Or is it based on preset biological experience ? present in every one of us.

Greetings hyper
hyper
Scholar

Postby Tom Hendricks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:03 pm

The main one may be the push and pull between anabolic processes that build up the body, and catabolic processes that break it down.
Anabolic and catabolic evolved but they did not blend.

This suggests a new type of selection. Because catabolic and anabolic metabolic processes are separate but connected, I suggest there is a ‘symbiotic arms race’ between the two. Whenever a positive change happens on one side, it may spur the other to match it. OR whenever there is a negative mutation the other side may mitigate the damage. Thus there is a sort of evolutionary motor directing evolution towards better catabolism, or anabolism.
http://wp.me/p5S9X-eO
Tom Hendricks
Intellectual

Return to General Discussion